I am text block. Click edit button to change this text.
Which type of home loan would suit me?
When selecting a home loan, it’s important to consider what your individual needs not just the interest rate. Fortunately you have a wide range of homes loans to choose from and all with different interest rates, product features and fee’s. It pays to shop around and find the right loan that suits your needs and circumstances.
The better the fit – the happier you will be and it could also result in more savings over the life of the loan.
Some features you should consider include:
- Should I split my home loan – for example my home loan amount is $300,000 and I would like 1 portion of $150,000 fixed and another $150,000 portion variable
- Ability to make additional repayments above my interest
- An offset account or a redraw facility
- Linked savings account or credit card facility
What types of home loans are available?
Standard Variable Loan
Standard variable loans are Australia’s most popular type of home loan. The interest rate varies throughout the loan term. These loans generally offer excellent flexibility, low fees and often offer great features such as an offset facility, redraw facility, no limits on additional repayments and in most cases, no early pay-out penalties.
- Lump-sum payments can be made without incurring a penalty.
- If interest rates fall, your repayments will fall.
- Often offer extra features.
- If interest rates rise your repayments will rise.
Basic Variable Loan
Basic variable loans typically offer lower interest rates and fewer features than the standard variable loans. You often have the option to pay for any additional feature required. Interest rates and repayments will vary throughout the loan term.
- Relatively lower interest rate
- Lower repayments
- Many of these loans do not have the same features or flexibility as other variable loans
Intro Rate “Honeymoon” Loan
An introductory rate loan generally offers a guaranteed low rate for an initial period of time (usually 12 months) after which most will revert to the standard variable rate. The rate can be fixed or variable.
- Usually the lowest rates on the market
- Some lenders provide offset accounts on these loans
- Opportunity to reduce the principal quickly during the ‘honeymoon’ period
- Payments will increase after initial introductory/’honeymoon’ period
Fixed Rate Loan
Under a fixed rate loan, the interest rate is fixed for a specified period, usually between one and five years. This loan gives you the certainty of knowing exactly what your monthly repayments will be and peace of mind knowing the repayments won’t rise. However you won’t benefit if rates go down during the fixed term.
- Guaranteed rate, if interest rates rise your repayments won’t.
- Budgeting is made easier as your home loan repayments don’t change for the fixed rate period
- Reduced risk of defaulting on your mortgage repayments should the interest rates rise
- Reduced flexibility
- Extra repayments may incur a fee or be limited
- In some cases the fixed rate can be higher than variable interest rates of the time
- depending on the lender and product you could potentially be charged a fee for exiting the fixed rate before the fixed expiry ends depending on the lender
Bridging home loan
A bridging home loan is a loan that it used if you are selling your owner occupied home to purchase a new home. It allows you to purchase a home before you sell your existing home.
- Allows you to have a new home available so that you can move into the home without being displaced and waiting for your home to settle before you purchase a new home
- Bridging loans can be more expensive than normal residential loans as there is more risk to the lender
- Additional fee’s such as interest repayments on the additional loan are included over the bridging period
100% Offset Loan Account
A 100% offset loan is very similar to an all-in-one loan. Rather than putting all your salary and other income into your loan, it goes into an offset account that is directly linked to your home loan. Any balance in the offset account is 100% ‘offset’ against your home loan. This reduces the amount of interest you have to repay, making your money work harder for you.
- Can save you substantial amount of interest if used correctly
- Operates like a normal transaction account and has a chequebook, ATM card, etc. attached
- May have higher monthly fees attached to the account
- May require a minimum balance in the account
Line of Credit Loan
A line of credit loan provides you with access to the equity in your home or investment properties up to a pre-approved limit. You access the funds as you need to. The interest rate on a line of credit loan is usually a variable rate and repayments are interest only.
- You can use the money when you need it and pay it back when you can
- Rates are generally lower than a personal loan or credit card
- In some cases your interest repayments can capitalised of you have available funds meaning you don’t need to make regular repayments
- Unless care is shown it is possible to reduce the equity you have built in your home
Low-Documentation & Credit Impaired Loans
A low documentation (or no documentation) loan is suited to investors or self-employed borrowers who do not meet the ‘standard’ lending criteria. This may include; those with an impaired credit history, those who are unable to provide the required documentation in support of their loan application, or those who wish to borrow more than 100% of the property value.
- In some cases you only need to provide 12 months BAS statements and not full tax returns
- Can have features such as redraw, line of credit, variable or fixed rates, principal and interest or interest only
- Generally a higher interest rate than a full documentation home loan however this is not always the case as it can vary between lenders
If you are building your own home or investment property, a construction loan may be suitable for you. This loan requires a fixed price building contract from a registered builder. These loans are usually interest only for the period of building and then become principal and interest once building is completed. A construction loan allows you to draw money as is required whilst building. Also, with the usual necessary documents required when applying for a loan, construction loans also require a ‘fixed price building contract’ and ‘council approved plans’.
- Competitive variable interest rates
- Facility to draw money when necessary whilst building
- Interest only payments during the building period
- Additional payments can be made
- Requires a fixed price building contract leaving little room for change whilst building
- Some lenders charge a fee for every time you draw money whilst building
Given it is a variable loan; loan repayments will increase if interest rates increase
"I would like to Thankyou and your staff very much over the last few months. The ladies have been pretty good dealing with the Commonwealth Bank and getting back to me, as it has been very frustrating at times and they have calmed me down. I have sent an email ..."− From: Stella Miliatis
"Hahaha!! They are just the best to deal with. I am so glad I was given your companies number!With Thanks Angel Evans Customer Service "− From: Angel Evans
"Tony and Anna, Cathryn and I would like to pass on our sincere thanks for all of your help during the process of purchasing our first home. From the start of our dealings, the first phone call that I received from Tony, I felt comfortable in dealing with you as the manner .."− From: Leslie Elms
"Dear Tony Forgot to say thank you for the gift that you sent us. the timing was spot on as we had just moved in physically on the day We seemed to have fit the essentials into to our finances so thankfully we won't need to think about a further loan. Thank you ..."− From: Simon Airey
"Thanks for all you help with this, Anna – we're really pleased! Warm regards, Elisabeth "− From: Elisabeth Crawford
"Hi Barbara, Tony, Taryn and Kylie We had a lovely hamper arrive on our doorstep today! What a nice surprise – and a lovely gesture. Love it – can't wait to test out the champagne and choccies. Thank you for the gift – pleasure doing business with you guys – will ..."− From: Sharon and Darren Quandt
"I spoke to Tony Bice ( mortgage consultant) about getting a mortgage for my new home as I was having trouble securing a loan due to my break up of my marriage. I was referred to CLS Investment Services by a friend. It was the best phone call I have ..."− From: Suzanne Allen
"We cant tell you enough how happy we are to have dealt with you and your staff, Especially Lyndall . Thank you so much Extremely happy customer Kerry and Gary Foulis. "− From: Kerry and Gary Foulis
"G'day Tony, Good to talk to you yesterday and thanks for your help with the new House. Tarryn, Lyndal and yourself have been a pleasure to deal with. Can you please fire through the breakdown of weekly cost for each of the four areas you outline below and which institution they would be with. ..."− From: Neil Masters
"Dear Tony Thank you for your time today on the phone and the detailed discussion of our home loan status. Further to our conversation, Tim & I would like to pass on our congratulations to Barbara Mourga, on her extremely timely and professional help with our particular 'scenario'. We have bought (& ..."− From: Melissa & Tim
"Hi Tony I just wanted to thank you very much for all your help...I picked up the keys this afternoon, very happy I have my own home! Kind Regards Christine Smits"− From: Christine Smits
"Hi Tony After much thought we've decided that we're better off selling the flat as we wouldnt be able to keep it and buy another place so rather than keep putting money into something we're going to sell in 12 months, best to do it now and add to the equity ..."− From: Bridie Read
"Hi Tony and team, Although belated, (I have been absent for the past 3 weeks) I would like to pass on our gratitude for the assistance you have provided with the purchace of our home. The gift basket was a lovely touch, and indicative of the personal customer service we have ..."− From: Brad Pearson
"Hi there I know this has come a little late but we wanted to thank everyone there so much for all of the help you were able to offer us during our home purchase. We are loving our new home and were really thrilled that everything worked out ok with the ..."− From: Avril and Mike
"Haha! Hmmm, marginally better, I certainly feel reassured that we technically only have one last hurdle to jump. Seeing the words 'not a guarantee' only gave me slight reason to stress :) You've been wonderful, I really appreciate your patience and understanding. Not many people would be prepared to put up ."− From: Kelly Pearson
"Hi Tony, My apologies for not getting back to you earlier this week as promissed. Danijela and I went through the life insurance documents and we realised that we need to have a proper chat with either yourself or Lyndal again regarding this matter. We made a list of questions that we need some ..."− From: Serg and Daniella
"Dear Tony, Lyndal and Anna, Dane and I got home from work yesterday to find a little hamper from you, that was a lovely surprise - thank you so much! Thank you to your team for finding us a great homeloan and also sorting out our insurance. Your team has been excellent ..."− From: Rhianna Murray
"Hi Stress Attack... How is your heart beat now? So happy to hear some good news for you... I was quietly confident.... but we dont cheer until it is in writing. Still have to wait for a good val in SA – great news they aren't doing a val on NSW – shows ..."− From: Barb email@example.com
"Hi Tony and Taryn I received today a lovely congratulatory gift from both of you, which I thank you both for very much. Your excellence in professionalism, communication and assistance all the way through, with Taryn continually keeping me posted, alleviating my anxiety, and assisting to ensure that all was done in possibly one ..."− From: Cheryl Bigini
"Thanks Tony, I appreciate all your help. J You have been fantastic, not sure what we would do without your help & advice. Kara Spokes | Sales Manager Retail | Home Magazine "− From: Kara
"Hi Tony I really sorry I haven't written sooner but Ive been flat out working and renovating I haven't had time to scratch myself.I just wanted to say I really appreciate everything lyndal, anna and yourself did in regards to my loan and my finance protection. i was extremely happy with the service you provided "− From: Michael Richards